Thank you for your interest in adopting a Dog from Twyla’s Friends.
Our main objective is to find the right match for the dog and the family, matching energy levels and expectations to facilitate a successful adoption. We aim to line up our priorities of safety, health and comfort of the dog with the expectations and lifestyle of the family.
All dogs are thoroughly vetted, vaccinated, spayed or neutered, microchipped, fecal and heartworm tested are on heartworm prevention and treated for fleas. Puppies are vaccinated according to their age, and will be spayed or neutered by Twyla's Friends at the approproate age, typically 4/5 months old. Adopters will be required to sign an agreement to return them to our vet for spaying or neutering or provide proff of spaying/neutered from their veterinarian.
Please note that our Adoption process requires a home visit and we may be unable to place a dog in your home outside of the Greater Houston area due to our inablitly to perform a home visit.
It is important that:
- You are an adult over 21 years old.
- All members of the family agree on the adoption
- All members of the family welcome the dog as part of their family, living indoors
- You have a securely fenced in yard
- You are able and willing to provide the dog the exercise and attention required for his temperament
- You are able and willing to provide appropriate and necessary nutrition, training and medical attention for the dog
- You are able and willing to provide heartworm prevention for the dog year-round.
- The dog wear a collar with personal ID at all times
- If you are renting, have approval of the Landlord, and written proof of deposit.
- All current Pets in the household are altered, appropriately cared for and up-to-date on vaccinations
Please read our Adoption Considerations to make sure you are prepared for your new family member and are setup for sucess!
Complete the Adoption Application on our website.
Once approved (vet references are checked and any ambiguities are cleared), a meet-n-greet with the dog will be arranged, either at one of our meetups, or at your home, which then completes the home visit as well. If you would like to meet more than one dog, we suggest coming to one of our meetups.
Our Meetups are held on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each Month at the St. Stephens Society Building at 2307 Crystal Springs Drve @ Woodland Hills Drive in Kingwood, TX from 1-4pm, weather permitting.
If Twyla's Friends, the foster and family all agree its a good match – it’s time to adopt your new family member!
Our adoption process starts with a 2 week trial: the Contract is filled out and the Adoption Fee is collected. We hold your check during the trial. We feel that 2 weeks give all involved a chance to adjust and to get to know each other. If, after the 2 week trial, it’s a good match, we finalize the adoption, get you the vet records, provide information on how to transfer the microchip and cash your check.
Our Adoption fee is $200 ($250 for puppies and purebreds) and is non-refundable outside of the 2 week trail period.
All dogs are thoroughly vetted, vaccinated, spayed or neutered, microchipped, fecal and heartworm tested are on heartworm prevention and treated for fleas.